FQ meets the nose behind Karen Walker’s new hit fragrance.
In this interview for Fashion Quarterly, perfumer Véronique Nyberg answers the following questions:
- You’ve created a lot of incredible fragrances in the course of your career — what was unique about Runaway?
- What was it that drew you to Karen and her brand?
- When you create a fragrance, do you envision the sort of person who would wear it, and if so, who is the Runaway Girl to you?
- What was Karen’s brief? And after receiving it, how did you translate her vision into a scent?
- So tell us more about that interplay between masculine and feminine…
- What influence does the bottle have on the experience of the fragrance?
- Do you have a philosophy when it comes to scent?
- Where do your ideas come from?
A snippet from the article
“I was seduced by her passion and strong personality. Karen’s signature of playing with masculine and feminine, folk and utility attracts me, as I also love to work with contrast and opposition, exploring the ambiguity of an ingredient’s olfactive profile.”